New pages

From MTULUG
Jump to:navigation Jump to:search
New pages
Hide registered users | Hide bots | Show redirects
(newest | oldest) View (newer 50 | ) (20 | 50 | 100 | 250 | 500)
  • 19:58, 4 June 2022FFmpeg (hist | edit) ‎[4,713 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "[https://ffmpeg.org/ FFmpeg] is a really complicated, all-in-one software that deals with videos and encoders. The software is typically not packaged with anything because some encoders are non-free and package managers don't typically use a version with the non-free encoders. So, you'll need to download it yourself https://ffmpeg.org/download.html unless you really care about the notion that there's non-free software on your computer. FFmpeg is mainly the backend to...")
  • 22:40, 21 April 20222022-04-21 (hist | edit) ‎[388 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "We tiedyed our LUG shirts and we got some sweet breads from the Bread Loafer's Bakery. The donuts were really good. Attendance (chat name): * Steven Whitaker (sjwhitak) * David Hochstetler (Shunned_One) * Stu Kernstock (stoo) * Anthony Walter (Avwboarder) * Hunter Indermuehle (BestNormalist) * Sophia Kraus (soph) * Josh Stiebel (Josh S) * Michael (Michael)")
  • 09:04, 20 April 2022Storage management (hist | edit) ‎[11,122 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Copied from https://lug.mtu.edu/minutes/fall2021/meeting09.html)
  • 22:45, 14 April 20222022-04-14 (hist | edit) ‎[866 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Tiedye during spring fling, tomorrow. right|thumb|LUG Meeting 2022-04-14 David will be wearing the tux outfit and holding a big sign until the MUB gets upset at us. Are you really an org if you haven't gotten in trouble with the MUB? Attendance: *Steven Whitaker *Tux (AKA David Hochstetler) *Josh Stiebel *Ben Bistline *Isaac *Bryce Tezak *Peter LaMantia (IT Oxygen guest)")
  • 08:52, 14 April 2022Crontab (hist | edit) ‎[624 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "You run a command: {{UserCmd|rsync -r folder/ user@backup.server.lan:~/}} You want to run this every day at 2am: {{UserCmd|crontab -e}} <syntaxhighlight lang="crontab"> 0 2 * * * rsync -r folder/ user@backup.server:~/ </syntaxhighlight> Use [https://crontab.pro/ crontab.pro] to map out crontab times. In any case, crontab will run any command you want. You want a series of commands to be run at once? Wrap it in a bash script. You want to run multiple commands?...")
  • 21:36, 11 April 20222022-04-07 (hist | edit) ‎[783 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "We got the follow domains: *<code>lug.mtu.edu</code> *<code>znc.lug.mtu.edu</code> *<code>matrix.lug.mtu.edu</code> *<code>git.lug.mtu.edu</code> *<code>marvin.lug.mtu.edu</code> *<code>trillian.lug.mtu.edu</code> If there's another DNS record, then I don't know about it. We got Marvin up and running! That beast is less powerful than a raspberry pi 3 with the power output of a modern server. There was an old drive we plugged in from Marvin but it had LVM and we could...")
  • 01:49, 9 April 2022IRC Bouncer (hist | edit) ‎[4,000 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "= Web configuration = The [https://wiki.znc.in/ZNC IRC bouncer] can easily be configured over the web interface: https://shell.lug.mtu.edu:50000/ == Starting up == Use your browser to connect to https://shell.lug.mtu.edu:50000/ and log in with your <code>shell.lug.mtu.edu</code> username and password. right|thumb|ZNC User settings Click on "Your Settings" to adjust your parameters. You'll default to log in to lug.mtu.edu IRC, but you may w...")
  • 16:56, 6 April 2022Vim (hist | edit) ‎[2,476 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (in the middle of this. but there's free pizza bye)
  • 12:34, 4 April 2022Cool places in the Keweenaw (hist | edit) ‎[3,397 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Add stuff n things s'more)
  • 14:05, 30 March 20222022-03-31 (hist | edit) ‎[874 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Agenda)
  • 17:12, 28 March 2022Email (hist | edit) ‎[6,552 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "This is honestly an academic exercise because almost everyone uses Google's IMAP servers or other big ones, and anyone who doesn't are probably spammers. So, you have to try really, really hard and put a lot of settings up to not act like a spammer. A spammer can do these exact same things, too, which means you'll need to try really hard gain reputation and manually remove yourself from blacklists until you've put in so much effort that people have to assume you <em>aren...")
  • 18:38, 24 March 20222022-03-24 (hist | edit) ‎[672 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "== Installathon == #Presentations (previous ones were [here https://shell.lug.mtu.edu/archived_wiki/index.php?title=Presentation_sign-up]). Do we want to do some? ##Yes, no? #Hackathon ##[https://eater.net/8bit/kits 8-bit CPU] ##[https://github.com/prophetofxenu/discord-irc-matrix discord bridge] ##Anything else? == MediaWiki == #[https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki download] #Installing #Configuring #Skins #Extensions")
  • 11:56, 23 March 2022Archiving emails (hist | edit) ‎[1,001 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "You can archive emails with [https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ Thunderbird] and if you want the emails public over the web, [https://www.mhonarc.org/ mhonarc], at least that's what I use. == Thunderbird == right|thumb|Searching your archive # Log in to your email over Thunderbird if you haven't already # Go to settings and click "Addons and Themes" # Search for and download the addon "ImportExportTools NG" # Choose the email folder you want to...")
  • 10:23, 23 March 2022Archived Wiki (hist | edit) ‎[1,895 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Welcome to the MTU LUG wiki. Feel free to sign up for an account and then add pages!<br> If you're new to wiki, you might want to play around in the Sandbox for a while. * '''We meet every Thursday in Room 101 of Rekhi Hall at 5:00pm EST''' * Go to https://groups.google.com/a/mtu.edu/forum/#!forum/lug-l to subscribe to our mailing list (You don't have to be an MTU student to subscribe). It's (normally) a low-traffic list, mostly announcements about meeting schedu...")
  • 23:35, 22 March 20222019-10-15 (hist | edit) ‎[365 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "This week we went discussed the different features of different desktop environments. Next week will most likely discuss shell scripting in case if anyone wants to learn a bit more about that. Feel free to bring a friend. Also our meeting for next week will be in Rekhi 214 at 7:00pm due to the CS department doing stuff with ABET. Category:Meeting Minutes")
  • 23:35, 22 March 20222019-10-08 (hist | edit) ‎[257 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "This week it was mostly just me and Jake so we ended up discussing the output of the lscpu. Also Java users openjdk 13 is in the Arch Linux repositories if you want to see if your code no longer works with this newer version. Category:Meeting Minutes")
  • 23:34, 22 March 20222019-09-24 (hist | edit) ‎[282 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "This week we had a discussion on common linux interview question in case if anyone had a Linux administration interview during career fair. Good luck this week and remember to have fun. Also our current meeting time is Tuesdays at 7:00pm in Rekhi 101. Category:Meeting Minutes")
  • 23:34, 22 March 20222019-09-17 (hist | edit) ‎[386 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "This week we went over different types of linux distros that we might looking into adding mirrors also this lead into a discussion on TempleOS. But we will try to get a Manjaro mirror and also a mirror for Linux mint seeing that it has some packages that aren't from Ubuntu. Next week we will be going over different Linux style job interview questions. Category:Meeting Minutes")
  • 23:33, 22 March 20222019-09-10 (hist | edit) ‎[707 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with " This week was a bit of a mess regardless we still had our first meeting for the year and we went over the basics of what Linux and open source was. I was able to find a link to video that explains it rather well but for obvious reasons we did not watch all of it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vW62KqKJ5A). We also discussed our plans for the semester so next we will most likely be doing a talk on different types of virtualization software and if we have free time pot...")
  • 23:28, 22 March 20222019-04-25 (hist | edit) ‎[1,026 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your situation), this academic year has come to end for LUG. Today we just held our last meeting of the year. We discussed the end of Scientific Linux (and if anyone was actually using it). In addition Wesley stated he was trying to get Atom to work on an ARM-based system. Then our discussion led to [https://www.protondb.com/ ProtonDB] and [https://lutris.net/ Lutris] and the status of gaming on Linux. I recently upgraded to ke...")
  • 23:27, 22 March 20222019-04-12 (hist | edit) ‎[366 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with " Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your situation), this academic year has come to end for LUG. Today we just held our last meeting of the year. We discussed the end of Scientific Linux (and if anyone was actually using it). In addition Wesley stated he was trying to get Atom to work on an ARM-based system. Then our discussion led to [https://www.protondb.com/ ProtonDB] and [https://lutris.net/ Lutris] and the status of gaming on Linux. I recently upgraded to k...")
  • 23:26, 22 March 20222019-04-03 (hist | edit) ‎[2,615 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "We are still looking for more people to run for e-board for next semester so far we have as nominations * President - Eric Steve * Server Team - Zach Jones We will be doing elections next week so if you would want to run for a position com by next week's meeting Thursday at 5pm in Rekhi 101 feel free to bring a friend. During our meeting I did a demonstration on how to manipulate partition size on a computer that uses an ext4 file system that does not use lvm. A copy...")
  • 23:21, 22 March 20222019-03-28 (hist | edit) ‎[523 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "This week we went over nominations for e-board elections for next year, so far we have * For President - Eric Steve * Server Team - Zach Jones If anyone else would like to be in the running for e-board next semester, email me or Jake Black to be added. We also talked about how Alec wrote his own window manager over last summer. Also we discussed the possibility of doing some more tutorials on how to do things in Linux, if you have any ideas feel free to bring them to n...")
  • 23:20, 22 March 20222019-01-24 (hist | edit) ‎[731 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Greetings, I would like to thank everyone for another successful meeting at our new time for this semester. Today we talked about the [https://news.softpedia.com/news/wine-4-0-officially-released-with-vulkan-direct3d-12-support-hidpi-on-android-524647.shtml Wine 4.0 release] and [https://www.zdnet.com/article/nasty-security-bug-found-and-fixed-in-linux-apt/ the apt security bug]. Eric also gave a great introduction to a sophisticated terminal calendar program, [https:...")
  • 23:19, 22 March 20222018-12-04 (hist | edit) ‎[690 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "I would like to thank everyone for another successful meeting this week. Most of us are just busy getting ready for finals, so any organization events and announcements will likely not be made until after winter break. However, this week we discussed nginx and how to use it as a reverse proxy. I had some issues installing with pacman on my Manjaro machine, which led us to changing the default Manjaro mirrors to the main pacman or Arch mirrors this came with little succe...")
  • 23:19, 22 March 20222018-11-13 (hist | edit) ‎[607 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with " I would like to thank everyone for another successful meeting. Today we discussed different file searching programs like fzf, and fsearch. This led into a discussion of different shells like fish and zsh. Also on the table was how to get a package added to an official repository, (If anyone has a short answer to this, please let me know) and interest in a presentation on the core differences between package managers and packages (.deb, .rpm, etc.) And some casual re...")
  • 23:18, 22 March 20222018-11-07 (hist | edit) ‎[1,033 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with " Yesterday we had a successful meeting. The Introduction to Linux session we hosted went well and if anyone wants to look at the presentation, it can be found at lug.mtu.edu/itl18. We talked about hosting a session at Winter Wonderhacks about a Linux topic or program. Some recent Linux security news which I have listed below. And RHEL dropped support for KDE. One article led our discussion to the differences between SystemD and OpenRC, which is the service manager...")
  • 23:18, 22 March 20222018-10-24 (hist | edit) ‎[470 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "I would like thank those in attendance for another successful meeting this week. We finalized the plans for an Introduction to Linux session that will be held in a couple weeks. Expect another email in a couple days with more details. Also discussion in the meeting included the long-term official release of kernel 4.19. As well as Linus Torvalds stepping back into kernel development. And for some casual reading: https://red.ht/2SbNLAC")
  • 23:18, 22 March 20222018-10-16 (hist | edit) ‎[363 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Despite some technical difficulties, we still had a productive meeting this week. We are finalizing plans for a Intro to Linux course to be held in a couple weeks. Among the topics discussed this week were terminal browsers, and recent intel processors, drivers, and firmware. And here is some casual reading: https://bit.ly/2eZZ254")
  • 23:16, 22 March 20222018-10-09 (hist | edit) ‎[514 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with " I was great to see some new faces at the meeting today. And to those new faces, welcome. We discussed a couple different system monitoring tools: top, htop, and glances. Glances is written in Python and supports disk and RAID I/O, docker usage, network interface usage, and a web application. There was also discussion about our different distros of choice including an emerging distro that is now #4 on distowatch: MXLinux. And here is some casual reading: https://bit....")
  • 22:35, 22 March 20222013-04-16 (hist | edit) ‎[729 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Kaleb Elwert * Jordan Gedney * Nate Mealey * Andrea Velosa * Tyler Adam * Jay Vana * Taylor Scanlon * Alex (Graduate Student) === Minutes === === School Year* 2013-2014 LUG eBoard Members === * President: Kaleb Elwert * Vice-President: Jay Vana * Treasurer: Josh Knight * Public Relations: Andrea Velosa * Secretary: Jay Vana * Server Admins: Kaleb Elwert, Jared Ledvina, and Josh Knight === Server Report === The new server required...")
  • 22:34, 22 March 20222013-04-02 (hist | edit) ‎[716 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "== Meeting Minutes 4/2/2013 == === Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Kaleb Elwert * Tyler Adam * Jordan Gedney * Tyler Sanbon * Mario Loria * Taylor Scanlon * Jay Vana === Nomination === === Presiden === * ({0,{0}}) * Kaleb Elwert * Danny Miller === Vice-Presiden === * Jacob Wiltse * Glen Morz === Treasure === * jgknight === Secretar === === Public Relation === * Andrea Velosa * HuskyBot === Server Admi === * Kaleb Elwert * Jared Ledvina === Server Repor === The...")
  • 22:32, 22 March 20222013-03-27 (hist | edit) ‎[1,460 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Kaleb Elwert * Jay Vana * Jacob Wiltse * Taylor Scanlon * Jordan Gedney * Jacob Wiltse * Tyler Adam * Tanner Ingresal === Minutes === USG has approved our full budget request of $1,800!! New server - It is in the Rehki datacenter needs to be plugged in. Registered with IT. The name is - Zaphod Nanocon - It's a bit late to do anything with them. Maybe next time we will try to help sponsor. T-Mo (character from League of Legends) h...")
  • 22:31, 22 March 20222013-03-05 (hist | edit) ‎[847 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Meeting Minutes === === Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Mario Loria * Jay Vana * Jacob Wiltse * Tanner Ingersoll * Tyler Adam === Minutes === === Budget === * Sounds like USG might be giving us everything that we asked for! * Kaleb talked to Charles Wallace and he says that the CS department would match we pay for the Gig internet === IP Address === * We can only have 4 registered IP addresses. * Need to have one changed from the Minecraft server to the new serve...")
  • 22:29, 22 March 20222013-02-26 (hist | edit) ‎[774 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Kaleb Elwert * Tyler Adam * Tanner Ingersoll === Notes === === Server Report === * Still need to look into getting our own 3TB drives. * Budget is due tomorrow. * CS Department will match what we pay to help us get Gigabit internet on campus. * It would be about $40 per month * Campus might get upgraded to 10 Gig at the end of the semester!! * 4 3TB drives are in the raidman! THANK YOU DARKFX!! Josh will ask for 4 drives from USG...")
  • 22:27, 22 March 20222013-02-12 (hist | edit) ‎[725 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Attendance === * Kaleb Elwert * Josh Knight * Jacob Wiltse * Mario Loria * Jared Ledvina * Tyler Adam === Notes === * Haven't heard back from Telecom about Gigabit * Astraeus has been switched to the UPS * Imotehep is no longer on the UPS...oh well... * Power Outage: We are all good as far as we know of. * We would like to buy 2 3TB Western Digital Red === New Server === * Hope to be installing OS and required software with a RAID 1 of 2 1TB drives this week. Need...")
  • 22:25, 22 March 20222013-02-05 (hist | edit) ‎[728 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Kaleb Elwert * Mario Loria * Jacob Wiltse * Josh Knight (over Gchat) === Notes === * We need to upgrade our internet access. * According to the program, nload, we are maxing out all the time. * We should think about adding network redundancy. * CS Dept is still paying for our internet connection. * If we can get a gigabit connection, we could become a Tier 1 mirror. * Kaleb will inquire with Telcom and the CS department this week....")
  • 22:24, 22 March 20222013-01-29 (hist | edit) ‎[638 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Josh Knight * Mario Loria * Jacob Wiltse * Nat Shapiro * Kaleb Elwert === Server Report === * Kaleb has plans to get networking working * Wiltse would sell hard drives to LUG for $40 - $50 * Should be able to charge drives with USG money. * Fill up Raidman and do Raid6 * Raidman supports up to 8 drives * Hope to be able to get drives within a month === Amendment === * We need to change the discrimination policy to reflect the newest...")
  • 22:22, 22 March 20222013-01-22 (hist | edit) ‎[686 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "=== Attendance === * Mario Loria * Jacob Wiltse * Josh Knight * Jared Ledvina === Server Report === === CentOS === * All unique * Might actually be legitimate * We should look into the script === New server === * Uses KVM with libvert * We really should have a web interface * Need to continue documenting * Only a few networking issues remain === News === * rdiffbackup is pretty awesome! Check it out! * backupninja is also sweet! * SSH keys can be limited to IP only...")
  • 22:20, 22 March 20222013-01-13 (hist | edit) ‎[1,236 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "== FIRST SPRING MEETING!!! == === Attendance === * Jared Ledvina * Mario Loria * Tyler Adam * Josh Knight * Kaleb Elwert * Jacob Wiltse * Zach Malinowski Everyone's break was decent === Dues === * Rethink the dues * Maybe switch to a donation like system === Emails === * Arch Linux repo syncs are colliding. Not that huge of an issue but still annoying. * Not sure what else is syncing wrong. * Will look into it over the next week. Squeeze Jacob === Server Admin Rep...")
  • 22:05, 22 March 20222016-02-26 (hist | edit) ‎[230 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "#Join the mailing list #Join involvement #Shell Server is still down, getting rebuilt sunday #Google form being sent out to decide on what’s going on server #Join slack #Linux Mint mess #Whitelisting")
  • 22:05, 22 March 20222016-02-19 (hist | edit) ‎[161 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "#Join the mailing list #Join on involvement #Shell server is still down #WWHacks projects #ReactOS release #LUKS presentation #encfs")
  • 22:04, 22 March 20222016-02-18 (hist | edit) ‎[182 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "#DoD presentation #Join email list #Join involvement link #Elections are next week #Shell server is alive ##Some data was recovered from the shell server")
  • 22:04, 22 March 20222016-02-12 (hist | edit) ‎[174 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "#Join email list #Join on involvement #Shell server still down ##Got drives from IT for now #WWHack this weekend #Budget #KeyBase FUSE Filesystem")
  • 22:02, 22 March 20222016-01-29 (hist | edit) ‎[355 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "#Join mailing list #Join us on involvement link #Join our slack #New secretary - Madi Paris === User Forum === #Server issues #VMware Workstation/Fusion team was axed #Fantasy Broomball #Gobolinux #Digital Ocean === Presentation === #Basic Data Recovery #Use things like xmount, photowreck, testdisk, ddrescue #NCase exploit")
  • 22:01, 22 March 20222016-01-22 (hist | edit) ‎[65 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "Madi Paris - nominated for secretary")
  • 21:53, 22 March 20222015-12-10 (hist | edit) ‎[306 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "#Join our mailing list #Join our slack #Join on involvement link #Elections will be next semester #Last meeting of semester #Better meeting time TBD #You get a shell account if you’ve been to 3 meetings. #Alex won’t be secretary next semester ##Going on co-op ##Impeach me!")
  • 21:53, 22 March 20222015-12-04 (hist | edit) ‎[730 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "== Lug 12/4/15 5:01 == === Join the email List! Seriously! === === Join Involvement link also Seriously! === === Will need to have elections before the semester ends === === Nominations === ## Alec - server admin ## Alec- President ## Kory - VP ## Brandon - server admin ## Brandon - President ## Dan - Server admin ## Alex R - Secretary ## Matt M - Server Admin ## Jake Black- Treasurer ## Stephen - server admin === Users Forum === * https://mtulug.slack.com * letsencryp...")
  • 21:51, 22 March 20222015-11-13 (hist | edit) ‎[579 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "#Join our mailing list! #Join our involvement link! ##https://www.involvement.mtu.edu/organization/lug #No meeting next week #Join our slack! ##https://mtulug.slack.com/ #Unused Mirrors ##Vote to remove FreeBSD and NetBSD from official mirrors ~900G ###We are not currently listed as mirrors for either of them... ###Yes Remove ###In the past two months the only person / group to access them was a crawler http://ltx71.com/ ###Only for now, will vote to add back later whe...")
  • 21:50, 22 March 20222015-11-06 (hist | edit) ‎[1,118 bytes]Sjwhitak (talk | contribs) (Created page with "== Meeting minutes LUG 11/6/15 == 5:07 PM LOL turney today, missing a few people Some new peeps - Introductions Join the email list lug.mtu.edu Join involvement link * elections start soon * this is how the university knows our membership LOL tournament is tonight - Maybe in Wads Considering canceling 11/20/15 * this is the day that thanksgiving break starts * consensus is meeting should be canceled. Elections * please start thinking about nominations USER FO...")
(newest | oldest) View (newer 50 | ) (20 | 50 | 100 | 250 | 500)