MTU LUG meeting Minutes November 1st, 2007
- Problem? Who gets access?
- Someone disabled Jon's account?
- He removed everyone's shell access as security lock down
- Mary: He gave impression that he wouldn't remove access
- 4 accounts disabled
- Mary: He's not attentive to needs of people on server
- Active not passive attention
- Kyle's sudo taken away (kyle is VP) given back
- Brian: Don't remember turning off Jon's account
- Maybe disabled your's after turning off mine
- Was in the middle of working on mirrors
- should of contacted in person
- Brian: Only officers should have account
- mistake on both sides
- Mary: Accounts should have time limit
- Brian: Devree over stepped bounds
- In channel talking about stuff (#cael)
- Jon added v3ritas to channel when unwanted
- He removed brian's access to server
- Mernerva died?
- Stuff still not working
- Too busy to maintain server?
- where is mirnerva? = Jon's house
- Motherboard is dead
- Boat-Load of accounts disabled?
- Officers have accounts?
- by default? yes- then have a fall back
- Single account for officers? limited sudo access?
- Share account? no... then not accountable
- Easy to cover tracks :(
- If you have someone smart then it doesn't matter.
- Account for each person - limited access
- Jon will e-mail what He did to Jon so Jon can fix it
- Jon D. proven untrustworthy because he doesn't listen
- Jon D. gets reported to public safety if hack back on server
- E-mail list of all accounts (and status) to Secritary
Delegation of Duties
- Mary: Jon D. claimed to have greater authority then officers
- Brian: He's good at what he does
- Kyle: Server Op is given explicit control of services
- IRC stuff not in constitution and not electable
- Kyle: ---
- Mary: Process create Bylaws so that there's still a review
- Kyle: Has to have time period before hand
- ByLaws still need approval of office of student affair
- Mary: Need way to decide authorities not just duties
- "user authorization" delegate access on server?
- Stuff doesn't seem to be getting done
- Meeting Minutes need to be up online somewhere
- Write protect the wiki pages? (backup to central storage?)
- jon <-> dark communication improvements
- student access to server only?
- Trust of people off campus?
- Delegation authority allowed to non students? semi-permanent
- Services handled by people at Uni?
- Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo should be working
- Brian: Mirrors most important function of server
- Huge service to people in the dorms
- Never noes what's broken? no one complains
- Broken so long no idea what is supposed to be there
- We are official mirrors for several things
- Makes us look really bad if stuff is constantly down
- Telcom hasn't complained about bandwidth recently
- Last year we had them cap us to 10Mbit out to off campus
- Up out outbound? Maybe once mirrors are working
- Talk to Shane
- (Distro)-announce sign up?
- extra e-mail account to monitor stuff
- synthia lug e-mail thingy
- keep mirrors up to date
- How long to keep releases?
- Like to keep a couple versions
- (no one updates instantly)
- RAID 5 so one drive can die
- Drives still under warranty
- Front end server is okay, filer SUCKS
- New hardware list ready for next meeting
30 Second Administration Tips
- cron - 'man cron'
- 'man 5 crontab'
- backups - backup PC, it's kinda nifty
- sudo - superuser do!
- nfs - not secure
- If you're in the middle of a field you can network :)
- Not all cards can act as APs
- Amend to allow by-laws?
- Extra stuff is listed in Wiki, but not really official
- Need way to react faster?
- status of money request?
- Mary want it? NO!
- Never shows up to meetings
- Should impeach? to get stuff back and close security hole
- Ask him to step down?
Vote to impeach? Kyle
- seconded Brandon C.
- 15 to impeach, 2 abstain Pow! gone.
Nominations for new Treasurer?
- Kyle nominates Long haired guy
- Mary nominates Andrew
- Kyle nominates Jon K.
Student Org space
- We can put a student usable computer in there.
Backup of server stuff
- Config stuff IRCd
- ~30 Meg in Backup PC?
- DCS charging for storage?
- Jon W. will take care of it.
Alumni Offering Hardware?
- Should try and get anything
- maybe wait till USG stuff (and money requests) settle
Boot without CD?
- Nifty open source cell phone
- Developer price >$400
- Base price ~$350
- When Wifi added then then ~$450
- Mary wouldn't mind one being donated